Who should I contact to report damaged street signs or signs in need of replacement?
Contact the Highway Department during regular business hours at (978) 597-1712. If the situation could be considered of imminent danger, contact the Police Department at (978) 597-6214.
Please note that Route 119 is a state road, and is under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Highway Department. See the link for the permit application process required by MASSDOT for Route 119 residents.
Can I get a speed limit sign erected on my street?
The Highway Department may not install speed limits on town roads from just a residents’ request. In order for a speed limit sign to be erected, an engineered speed study must be performed in accordance with the Massachusetts Highway Department’s Procedures for Speed Zoning on State & Municipal roads. Speed studies take into account geometry of the roadway, physical characteristics of the area, and the speed of which the majority of the vehicles currently travel. A copy of the procedures may be obtained at the Highway Department.
Can I get stop signs erected to slow traffic?
Certain conditions must be met in order for a Stop sign to be erected. These conditions, or warrants, are set forth in the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The MUTCD is a national code for traffic signage/regulation. Slowing or discouraging traffic is not a warrant for posting stop signs. Any request for the installation of a stop sign will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.